With email marketing retaining its importance in your overall marketing plan, it’s important for you to keep on top of how your email marketing messages are doing and whether anyone is actually reading them.
Therefore one of your email stats to look at is your open rate: it’s important to know the percentage of people opening your emails and who they are. The people on your list opening your emails regularly are hotter prospects for you than those who rarely bother.
A good email marketing platform should tell you what the average open rate is for your industry, so take note of that as a good starter guide for you. Then work at ways to increase it.
Here are a five simple ways that you can increase your open rate:
- Clean your list: ie delete the non-openers off your list. Eek! A large list is a vanity figure: personally, I would rather have 100 people on my list who open my emails, rather than 1000 who don’t. In a perfect world you need a large list of people who do open your emails, but to start with, concentrate on the percentage of opens. Having a large number of non openers on your list will make the email marketing platform “bots” think that you’re spamming people and that will affect the delivery of your emails, and could even get you blocked. So clean your list once every 6 – 12 months. (Oh, and don’t buy email marketing lists or collect names and emails from spurious sources. You want people actively subscribing to your list).
- Test your subject lines by running a split test. All good email marketing platforms will allow you to split test your emails (generally these are in the paid for services), and will let you test lots of elements within the email itself, but to get people opening in the first place, you need to find the optimum subject line. With your autoresponder (your email marketing platform) you should be able to hand it over to the system whereby it runs a small test first, then sends the winning subject line out to the remainder of your list.
- Test the time and/or day that you send your emails. Sometimes, even half an hour can make a difference to open rates, so don’t be afraid to test.
- Ensure that your email can be opened and read properly on mobile devices. A whopping 74% of people open email on their smart phones, so it pays to make sure that your can be opened and read too. This article has a few more stats on email marketing and mobile usage.
- Consider your writing style. Only ever write to one person, and it goes without saying that you really, really need to know your target audience and what’s going on in their life and their business, their needs and their frustrations. Then give them the answers that they want, as if one person was asking you directly. And always make sure you write good quality content.
I hope that helps, but if you need any further help, don’t hesitate to book in for a free email marketing strategy session, or calling me on 01452 223306.
Dedicated to your success as always,