And so, do you find that, even though you ARE busy, you are NOT necessarily moving your business forward as fast as you would like?I call this syndrome the “Busyness of Business”.
Emails, phone calls, accounts, marketing etc all need to be done but can lull us in to a false sense of security; we’re busy, just not busy doing the right things.
OK, I admit I am not model of perfection on this one, but I thought that I would put down some ideas that have helped me over the years, and will undoubtedly go on to help me in the future, but I very much hope will help you too.
- Systemise everything that you do. Your marketing, your finances, your admin, whatever. Create a process for it, write it up, and follow it. Saves all that wondering “just how did I do this last time??” (very wasted energy and time!). System, as you may have come across, stands for Save Yourself Time Energy and Money.
- Outsource/Hire staff/Utilise Existing Staff More. Build yourself a good solid team. You can’t (and shouldn’t) do everything. Do you have existing members of staff that would love to take on more responsibility? What could you outsource? – Your social media? Your marketing? Your books? Your admin? Who do you know that does these things? If that’s their “day job”, they will get through it with FAR more speed that you ever will, and it frees you up to get on with what you’re good at. In fact – work out the three main things that you ARE good at and should be doing to grow your business, and delegate out everything else!
- Mark out days and times in your diary for working on admin, writing your blogs or newsletters, working on your projects and so on. I would love to spend the first two hours of my day working on my big projects – but the reality is that I have two children to get up, feed, make lunches for and get on to the school bus in time. Calm descends once they have left and I’ve cleared away the breakfast things, put a load of washing on…and well, you know how it goes! So, practically that doesn’t work for me (or the majority of parents I know…and to be honest, I hate getting up ultra early too!). However, committing to days and times in my diary DOES work. So, find the method that works for you, but do put it in your diary: make the appointment with yourself.
- Learn your own biorhythms. Listen to your body. When you are at your most analytical and logical? (Time to do finance based stuff). When are you at your most creative? (Time to write those blogs or do your marketing). When do you get tired? Then sleep. Work with your body, not against it and it will help you.
- Have a master plan list. I’m sure you do already but how often do you check in with it? If I find myself going off track, my master list pulls me back on track.
- A good friend of mine once told me that he dedicated a day a month to do all those odds and sods that have a habit of multiplying and taking over your desk. All those things that aren’t important but need dealing with. Getting that new insurance quote, arranging a dentist appointment, signing forms for children’s school.
- Have an ideas book – somewhere to jot down all those creative ideas that pop into your brain. You don’t have to act on them that moment, honest! Perhaps utilising the “10 ideas” notebook I wrote about a couple of weeks ago?
- Take some time out. When we’re stressed, we concentrate on all the wrong things and end up in this whirlwind of mis-placed activity. Build in time for you to de-stress (go for a massage, a walk or bike ride in the fresh air, or thrash it out in the gym) and it will end up giving you more time and freedom, and stir all your creative juices up at the same time!
So as we move through the Autumn and complete our plans for this year, and start laying down our plans for next year, maybe it’s time to utilise some tactics that will help overcome the busyness of your business, and will help free you up to grow your business instead.
Let me know how you get on, and if you have any tactics that you use yourself, please do add them to the comments below – I would love to hear from you!
Dedicated to your success